Jethsibeth - Pembroke Pines, Florida

The Opportunity of the Unpredictable

Believing in the opportunity that the unknown brings is something that can change anyone’s perspective of the way they perceive life. At some time or another, we each become the strangers of our own life. Scary isn’t it? Things happen in life that can be unpredictable whether it may be for punishment, realization, or even just to bring someone to a different route of their life. I have certainly wondered at times, “why me?” However, it was because of that incident that led me to a new place, to a new opportunity, and better yet, to a new home.

When I was growing up in Venezuela, I had to be one of the happiest children alive. My family was always around, I had cousins that loved me, and on top of all that, I always had a meal on the table. Many would have thought that I was too young to admire the things I did, but I knew very clearly the difference between wanting something and needing something. I was fortunate enough to grow up with such a family that was there to support, love, and bring warmth into my life. However, in the year of 1995, all that changed. My father received a promotion and my mother and I had to leave our family behind and move to the United States of America.

Life in America was something we were not used to. A different language was spoken that I definitely did not understand. I felt stranded and lost in a world that made no sense to me. I had no friends, no one to talk to, and for the most part, I spend my days admiring those that did. Everyone back at home told me that when the day comes, I would realize why my parents chose America out of all the places we could have moved to.

Many things happen in life happen without us realizing what the outcome is going to be. It is pretty much like playing the lottery, one will never know when one has the winning ticket. When I first moved into the United States, I hated it. I did not know what the purpose was for me to be living here. Little did I know that the change in my life was indeed an opportunity. In America, numerous opportunities for individual arise. There are always jobs available, schools for children to attend, and even places where one could go to experience life.

Twelve years have past since I first moved in the U.S and now that I am nineteen years old, I have realized that moving was life changing. I have spoken briefly to a few of my cousins about what they are doing with their life and all they managed to say to me was that they are at home; at home doing absolutely nothing. They are not going to school, not working, not planning anything for their future. I, on the other hand, have finished high school and am currently in my second semester of college getting an education to become someone I would not have been given the opportunity to become if I had stayed back in my country.

Everything in life has a purpose that leads to a new door with new opportunities that our minds cannot recognize.