Riley - Columbus Grove, Ohio

Just Like Ordering a Pizza

I believe that work is like ordering a pizza. If there is one thing that I have learnt about work and life it is that the world takes all kinds of people. Just like there are many types of options when ordering a pizza.

This philosophy affects me in several ways at this point in my life. First, I currently work part-time for a hometown pizza company called the Pizzeria. So I have witnessed first hand all the different elements that go into making a pizza. Some people tend to like there pizzas plain with only one or two toppings and like to order the same pizza every time. One such person is my father, he has always been a very routine and conservative man and he likes everything the same everyday so he knows what to expect. This is why he will only work in places that have a set schedule, since he is not a big fan of change. So, for him plain pizza is good and he believes that if isn’t broke then why fix it.

On the other hand, my grandfather has always been known to be a little on the crazy side. He joined the army right out of high school because he wanted travel the world and liked the thrill of not knowing what was going to happen next. He has always been a thrill seeker and lives his life like a rollercoaster. So, when he orders a pizza he will always be up for something new. One time he said he wanted a medium pizza, and then he told me that the rest was up to me to decide what to put on it, he said he wanted it to be something strange and exciting. Another time he called in and said that he was feeling crazy, so he told me to put everything on his pizza except for the kitchen sink! So I did just what he said and put on everything including pickles, mustard, mayonnaise, and hot and barbeque sauce… and he loved it.

Yet, there is also those people who order pizza that is totally different then there lifestyle. My older brother lives a crazy life, but he always orders the same pizza. He says that he needs at least some sort of organization and order in his life. While my sister who is very orderly like my father, yet she orders crazy pizzas like my grandfather as a way for her to have a sense of being crazy once in awhile.

Consequently, a lot can be said about the type of person someone is by the type of pizza they order. Almost all Americans love pizza, so when they order one it is treat that they want to enjoy and from working in a pizza company I have realized that different people enjoy different pizzas. The same can be said about America, and our freedom to choose what we want to do with our life. So, whenever someone feels like their life is being controlled and they can’t express themselves, I give the simple advice to turn to pizza, because when ordering a pizza “it’s all about you”.