James - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Themes: work

Escape From Reality

After a long week of work or school, most people want to relax. They are tired from the daily grind of writing reports, fixing problems and studying for exams. When I feel like this I need to give their mind a rest. So for 120 minutes I take a break from everything else. I forget my worries and immerse myself in another world. Maybe I join the Corleone family, or the crew of Captain Jack Sparrow.

I believe in working hard. There is no substitute for determination and hustle. But at the same time, I adhere to the saying, “work hard, play hard.” When I need a break from whatever is going on in my life, I may get some exercise or hang out with friends but most often I find myself pressing play on the DVD player. Movies allow me to travel to foreign lands like England, China, ancient Rome or Middle-earth.

I am an avid movie fan. I like to watch new action movies filled with explosions and computer-generated imagery as well as classic movies shot in black and white. From comedy to suspense, epics to science-fiction, I enjoy them all and it seems I’m not the only one.

Movies give me a chance to get away. Other people might like to read a book, ride a bike or run a marathon. Unfortunately, not all people can do what they love for a living. We can’t all be professional athletes or TV stars. That is why I believe people need to find their own escape from reality.

Too much work is not healthy. Everyone needs to relax once in awhile whether it’s for fifteen minutes or a few hours. The work-life balance is an important aspect to happy and fulfilling life. Going on interviews these past few weeks, employers stressed not only how their company fit my career goals but my life goals as well. They want me to use my vacation days. Working forty-plus hours a week can be exhausting and overwhelming. Everyone needs their escape. I know I do, and for me that means buying a ticket at my local theater.