Lwin - Media, Pennsylvania
Themes: family, setbacks

I believe life is unpredictable. Life is like an ocean wave with low tides, and soon to be followed by the high tide. Sometime its funny..sometime its bizarre…sometime scary..sometime good. Although life is unpredictable, I believe that I’m capable of overcoming all the fears as long as I believe in myself, in hope, and in determination.

I grew up in Burma where poverty and violence continuously exists but despite the violence and poverty, Burma is the place where almost all of my memories live. Even if the world comes to an end, I’m certain that those memories will never shatter away in my mind.

When I was six years old, life started to play a twist and turn over me. My dad headed for U.S to be able to find a pleasant job so that my sisters and I can have a better future ahead of us. I was in a state of shock because who would have thought my dad would leave us and go somewhere else. I remember crying all day long and begging him not to go. Of course, that didn’t work. In a flash of moment, my dad slipped away from my sight and just like that, he was gone. I was so scared that I would never meet my dad again for the rest of my life but my grandfather encouraged me to think that “It’s just a matter of time.” It was so sudden but after all, life is unpredictable.

Our life seems to me like a timeline drawn with a seismograph. There were times when everything was smooth; no evidence of disruption, then there were times when the needle of life rapidly jumped up and down in a state of absolute woe. When I reached the age of nine, life was out to get me again and leave me in a state of despair.

Suprisingly, my mom was to depart Burma and head for the U.S and together, with my dad, they promised that my sisters and I will be able to come to U.S later on and reunite again. Before my mom left, she whispered in my ears that “We will see each other again but it’ll be a while until we meet again. No matter what, I want you to know that we love you and that we are leaving you for a reason. Just promise me that you will keep your head high and pass through the obstacles without giving up.” With that, she was gone.

I spent most of my childhood in that state of absolute grief, as I challenged every outburst of emotional mistreatment my uncle’s family inflicted while I had to live over at their house. My mother always promised me that, “Tomorrow would be a better day.” This was a challenging statement for me because sometimes I wonder, this wouldn’t be happening if my parents did not leave us but I vowed to myself that I would not endure the pain of blaming my parents for my cousin’s behavior. I love and appreciate both of my parents more than anyone in the world; they shaped me into the person I am today.

I believe that life is a series of unexpected events that have to be faced and overcome. I chose to face my unexpected life with hope, determination, and profession. At best, I believed in myself. I believed that no matter how hard my life would be without my parents in my presence, I knew that if I try hard enough, life might just take pity on me and indeed, it did. Now, I have gotten reunited with my family and that is all that I could wish for in this unpredictable life and although I have overcome many agonizing events, I am sure that there are more to come.