Samuel - Media, Pennsylvania

I believe in an apathetic lifestyle. I don’t really care about too many things. I understand that what I do in this belief impacts my future, but I still don’t care.

When my parents divorced, I knew that I would still get to see both of them, so I didn’t care too much. When I brought home mostly bad grades since 7th grade, I didn’t care too much, I knew I would get better grades later, or just play my life as it goes by, with or without going to college. When I got in an argument with my friend, I think of all the things I should have said to win, instead of worrying about sealing our relationship back together. I just don’t care.

This probably isn’t a good way of living, but honestly, in a sick twisted sort of way, I think it helps me. If I concentrate on the future, or worry about certain things, that gets in my way. I wouldn’t be able to concentrate on now, or something that is actually important to me. If I was focused on my future, I would probably do better in school, but being focused on the present also helps me not worry about the bad things that could happen in the future.

Living with apathy does not make me feel like I am stupid, like I’m not going to get anywhere in life, or never amount to anything. Basically, if you are living apathetically, you won’t care about those things, until you get to your future. Even when you do get to your future, you stop and think, “This is what I get for not doing my homework [or whatever], and I don’t care. It’s what I get.”

I know saying that won’t convince you or anyone to live like me, you have no good reason too. I’m just saying that this is what works for me and I don’t really care enough to change how I live my life.

I do care about a few things. One is when I don’t do something, or not care about it, and it impacts someone else’s life. To me that is wrong. My belief is my belief, and if someone else does not have that same belief, I will live by their belief if my apathy impacts their belief. I also care about my family, my friends, my music, and skateboarding. If any of those were taken away from me, I would get very upset, and focus on how much my life sucks because I lost those things. If something like a really good salary was taken away from me in the future, I wouldn’t care too much. I would just be miserable for a little while.

Other people may reject my belief, and some may try to intervene with it. But either way, I will probably still live this way, and never stop. I just don’t care.