Lexi - Media, Pennsylvania

I believe in sarcasm. I believe in the ability to point out the obvious and ignore stupid questions. I received my gift of sarcasm from my father. Growing up, I would always take things seriously, and to this day, I am still gullible. Within time, I found myself coming up with sarcastic answers when my friends asked me questions, questions like, “Lexi, do you have allergies?” as I am sitting there with a tissue in each hand, teary-eyed, sneezing and coughing. “No, not at all,” I say in the most serious voice. It’s not exactly sarcasm to me; I think of it more as joking around and having a sense of humor.

I joke around a lot. If I’m listening to a song that sounds awful, I’ll look around and say, “Wow, this is a really great song!” I don’t even mean to do it; it’s just the first thing that comes to mind. It’s funnier than hearing, “This song sucks.” My dad recently told me that it’s not a good idea to be as sarcastic as I am. He said some people are going to take it too seriously and look at me like I’m just rude, not funny. If I’m eating dinner and it tastes bad, I’ll say, “This is the most amazing meal I’ve ever tasted.” Although you can tell in my voice that I’m not serious, someone could still miss the point and be hurt.

In the famous novel, A Separate Peace, the main character Finny says to a friend that sarcasm is the defense of the weak. I don’t see it that way at all. Too many people in life are way too serious. They don’t joke around or laugh at jokes, and they take everything seriously. By being sarcastic, I usually make someone at least giggle. Recently, a friend of mine was talking about a teacher she hates, and I turned around and said, “He is my favorite teacher; don’t talk about him.” She looked at me with the funniest face I’ve ever seen and said, “I hope you’re kidding.” “Not at all!” I responded. His teaching methods are just amazing.” She started laughing and said, “Lexi! You had me worried. I can never tell when you are being sarcastic or not!”

It sometimes makes me wonder if I would be a good actress or not. I can be really serious about something completely silly and have almost anyone believe every word I say. It really is a way of acting and being someone else. I don’t know the true meaning behind being sarcastic. Maybe I secretly don’t know who I truly am so I’m sarcastic to try and hide it. Maybe I just try to be funny and try to get people to laugh. There could be a million different answers, and I don’t think I need to know the real one. I have fun doing what I do, and I believe that I am good at it. When I asked my teacher how I should end this paper, she turned and said, “Just say I believe in sarcasm.” I turned back and said “Umm… That’s very creative and original of you.” …Not.