John - Media, Pennsylvania

I believe in dogs. Even though they are hard work and a big responsibility, they are one of the best friends that you will ever have. They are not just your pet, they become part of your family, and you develop a great relationship with them.

When I got my first dog last year, it was a surprise. She is a small Toy Yorkshire Terrier, and weighed only one and a half pounds when I got her, but is now about four pounds. Also, she had an all black coat, but is now silver, brown, and black. I thought that she would just become my pet, but I was wrong. She has become my best friend. Now, whenever I leave home, I would rather stay home to stay and play with her. She is such a great dog and she is so fun to play with. She is very energetic and can play forever. When I get up in the morning, I do not get to see her at all because she is still sleeping. When I get home after a long day of school, it has been a while since I have seen her. When she sees me, she gets really excited and starts to lick me like crazy. I start to laugh because of the way she acts. Her ears go back, and she starts to wag her really small tail.

One time I went into the groomers to get a haircut for my dog. As soon as we went in, she saw all of the other dogs and got so excited. She loves all of the other dogs. When they put her down to play with the dogs, she started to jump all over them. These dogs were huge compared to her, because she only weighs four pounds. It was really funny. All of these dogs were just sitting there doing nothing, and she was there jumping over them. Everyone was laughing. When we came back to pick her up, she was sitting inside a cage waiting for us with her new haircut. When we walked in, she was very happy to see us because she started to jump up and down and also started wagging her tail. She really missed us while we were gone, and wanted to see us again.

From the day I got her, I knew that she would not just be a dog to me, but one of my best friends.