KAY - Arkansas

( Married Couples in America Are Now In The Minority)

OUR LORD ASKS? Malachi 2:14 Yet ye say, Wherefore? Because the LORD hath been witness between thee and the wife of thy youth, against whom thou hast dealt treacherously: yet is she thy companion, and the wife of thy COVENANT.

Covenant –usually a voluntary act on the part of one or two persons where they both pledge their commitment and voluntarily surrender their will to each other. The difference between a Covenant ( God made)and a Contract( man made) is that the Covenant covers the whole man while a contract covers just the particular function in which the man executes ex: You contract for plumbing services only. In Christ if the plumber is covenant, not only is his occupation covered but his whole life.

Deu 7:9 Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he [is] God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;

God shall keep unto thee the covenant and the mercy which he sware unto thy fathers:

I recently heard in the media that for the first time, America is a majority unmarried country. Yes, couples are still united but without the benefit of clergy , not sanctioned by in the way that He has ordained. To exam the impact and import of such alternative states of co-habitation let us go to the scriptures and see what lessons history can teach us:

Consider the incident and the consequence of decisions made by Orpah, the daughter in law who chose not to covenant- from the book of Ruth chapter 1 :

Naomi, in conversation with her two (2) surviving daughter-in –laws, Ruth and Orpah, is here bemoaning an adverse decision that she and her family had earlier made. They decided earlier to leave Bethlehem( the house of Bread-strength) to go and become residents for ten (10) years in Moab, a land known for its sexual promiscuousness.( Moab, was the son of incest between Lot with one of his daughters when escaping from Sodom) . Naomi’s husband ,whose name was Elimelech, ( meaning my king) had died ( covenant breakers experience death ( literally and figuratively) ) as well, both her sons died, Mahlon ( meaning “ sickly”)and Chilion ( meaning “wasting away”-)

Naomi made a strong argument as to why here daughters-in-law should stay down in their homeland of Moab, so what was the final decision.. The decision and the outcome: Ruth’s made a covenant) decision with her mother in law Naomi for better or worse and stayed through the bitter and lean years. This resulted in a godly husband and son from whose line our Lord Jesus was born. She did leave and cleave- she made a covenant : Ruth is renown and yet being spoken of.

Orpha, made a contract that served only while she was married to Naomi’s son . In time, after his death she returned to her people. While she may have gotten a man, she did not get “ The Man”, she may have gotten a “feeling” but there was no “faith”( a faith that worketh for us- Romans 5:3-4). The name of Orpha is no more mentioned in the Bible.

I believe it was Ghandi who said, that the reason man makes war with other men is that they never have made war on them selves. The apostle Paul put it this way ;in

1 CORINTHIANS 9 : 27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a CASTAWAY. There are too many “cast away marriages.”

Our Lord has given us the apex of Covenant Life;

From the beginning…

He placed man and woman in a Garden- they blew it- He still did not revoke His covenant … His life on earth… He spoke to us about his covenant …

He shed His blood…as a token of his seriousness to his covenant …

Eternal life (The restoration of that Garden experience )He has gone to prepare a place that we might be received unto him….

I believe that the moral barometer of our society will continue to drop. I believe that one’s physical health will be directly affected by the lack of morality and the high incidence of divorce which usually comes with sexual promiscuousness in tow. It is written…

Recently, on a CBS Sunday morning show it was reported , I believe, that 42% of Americans were on some type of prescription drug.

I Samuel Chapter 5 gives us an account of “a people” ( non-covenant ) who mishandled the sacred things of God ( The Ark) . As a result, the Philistine country was plagued seven (7) months ( seven means complete) and were stricken with emerods and tumors in their private parts. Is it any wonder that the most pervasive cancers today are in the private parts of people ( breast, prostate, uterine).

The entirety of the Bible is the word of the God to us in the form of a covenant. Not unlike a marriage, there is an expectation of the fulfillment of promises. In the cases of both there is a longing to return to the Garden of Eden. Like the fantasy of marriage there is a longing for security, peace , bliss and happiness ever after.

Yet, I believe that this covenant is not for those who are void of such in this present life.