Matthew - Hershey, Pennsylvania
Themes: gratitude

I believe in gratitude and appreciation. Call me old fashioned, I think it is important to say please and thank you when someone does something nice. This concept applies to everything that we do, which is one of the reasons I feel it is so important. The belief in gratitude and appreciation applies to the way that I live my life, but it is also an expectation of how I think others should act.

I believe that there are too many people walking around that take the generosity and kindness of others for granted. Some show no thankfulness for the kind things that people do, it often seems than many people expect kindness from others, as if it’s their duty. I feel that these people have not learned the importance of appreciation, and how it is important for everyday life.

When I was younger, I never understood why my mom and dad were constantly harassing me about saying please and thank you to others. As I’ve matured, I have realized why they spent so much time enforcing it. Showing gratitude is a simple way to let someone know that their extra effort, or good deed, has not gone unnoticed and that there are people who are thankful for what has been done.

It is surprising how a simple thank you or a wave can make somebody’s day. I’m sure that the CATA bus drivers on campus always appreciate when students show their gratitude. Although they are at work, they are still doing a kind act and appreciation is important. I know that I would never get a ride from my mom and not say please or thank you. The same principal applies to public transportation as well as all situations.

On the contrary, nothing makes me more agitated than when I hold the door open for someone or a group of people and not a single person says thank you or acknowledges the fact that I am doing them a favor. I can say from my own experience that it is very impolite when you don’t show any gratitude for kind acts, and I believe that people need to start using these simple phrases of appreciation more often.

So, the next time you are riding a bus, walking down the street or going through an open door, take notice of others who smile at you, hold open the door or give you a ride, and show them a little appreciation and say thank you.