Jacob - Omaha, Nebraska

I believe that everyone needs some something that they can rely in . This is just a given in everyone daily routine .Whether it be a religion, structure in everyday , a friend’s support or even themself. Without something to lean or to believe in people loose hope the most precious thing of all, yourself .

To put into perspective on just how valuable this is to anyone all you need to do is look at the most desperate of desperate of people . Without this shoulder that we all can lean on any thing that happens to us suddenly becomes the worst thing in the world. The things that don’t seem that bad to you and to me is all that is needed to push someone over the edge to solve temporary problems with permanent solutions.

The most obvious crutch that people hang on is undoubtably religion. Religion is what we all go to every Sunday and to an extent shapes our everyday lives. It also helps us feel better If something goes wrong . Now the most common response from a Christian when something goes wrong is “god works in mysterious ways” now while this does nothing to actually solve your problems , for some reason makes us feel better. This feeling that something greater than us has a plan for everything that all works out in our best interests in the end.

I remember about two years ago when my debate teacher brought in an article for us by a Mr. Dean Hammer , with the intent to make a team case out of . If memory serves me correct we were debating the separation of church and state and this article had a diamond in the roft that always proved the neg correct. The article stated that there was something inside us as human beings, some type of gean that made us religious and lead us to believe in a higher power

Now I’ll spare you the details of the whole case but what it boiled down to was, that thought having such a complex mind and have a conscious one at that . One that could wonder and think about the mysteries of life was both was both a detriment and a trump card . All of the unanswered questions itself can cause someone to break down and not be able to function to the point of death .Now it seems ludicrous but if we as humans developed a higher power as a safety blanket to protect our self from These unanswered questions then we would be able to survive . We could better thrive as a species and thought natural selection not only clime the food chain but also to pass this god gean onto the next generation.

I have always believed that people need something to further themselves in life and most of it became clear when I read this article . The people who do the most desperate things have had this crutch kicked out from underneath them and have nothing that they can count on. While there are people who don’t believe in religion still don’t go crazy to the point of death you cant argue that an atheist is 3 times more likely to commit suicide than a partly religious man .

Now by no means am I advocating that you as a human have to have religion to survive. I am saying that you always believe in something . Whether you know it or not there is something that keeps you going . It may be your best friend , it may be your parents, it could be the law , or even your own moral rules you follow yourself. The fact of the matter is we need something we can rely in because without it we are to smart for our own good