Joshua - Napoleon, Ohio

Your Inner Voice

Have you ever heard your inner voice tell you to not do something that you did anyway? Did you regret this decision? This is why I believe your conscience should guide your decisions not the way you will be perceived. Your conscience is what guides your decisions between right and wrong. I believe this should be a principle in everyday life because it easily guides my life. There have been times however when I have made some big mistakes because I did not listen to my conscience.

I remember this one time I did not listen to my conscience. I was younger and was staying the night at a friend’s house. A couple of my friends decided that they were going to go out and break some windows in an old abandoned house. One of my friends asked me if I wanted to go with them. I knew this wasn’t the right thing to do even though it was an abandoned house. I really didn’t want to go but I let my friends talk me into it. I knew this wasn’t the right thing because my mother had told me many times to think something through before I acted on it. I always tell her I know but it is so easy to just go with the flow. She is telling me I to listen to my conscience.

We left for the abandoned house. I had a bad feeling in my stomach the whole time. We went out, did what we wanted to do, and left. When we returned back to my friend’s house, I was silent for the rest of the night. When I returned home the next day I realized what I had done. I had broken the law just to please my friends. There are many life lessons you can learn from your conscience. Just follow your conscience and you will lead a joyful and successful life.

I know it may be easy to just say oh it doesn’t matter at the moment. However, later on in life you will regret some decisions you make. One of those decisions you make may be at the wrong time. It could cost you your life or someone else’s life. This is why you should let your conscience guide your everyday decisions and not the “popular” idea. Just remember the right way is not always popular and the popular way is not always right. So just listen to your conscience, this I believe.