Ruben - chula vista, California

My father figures have failed me. My birth father is a dead-beat dad. He has never taken responsibly for us [me and my sister] and has always found excuses why he didn’t. My step-dad on the other hand was always there for me, he always took time to talk with me or take me to a sport event, but he was very strict however and would yell all the time and make us do endless chores. Then one day he did the unthinkable. He molested two young girls.

He turned my mom’s, sister’s and my world upside down. After that incident my birth father tried to step in and be involved in my life. I was about 14 years old at the time and I felt it was too late for him to step up and be a dad. So I rejected his attempts to be a father too me.

The way I felt though these experiences was anger, frustration, and loneliness. I also felt determination after a time I still felt angry at them for what they put me though, but now I am still angry but I am learning from there mistakes. That is their reason why I feel determine. Determine not to be like my dad’s. Determine to show that even though I come from a broken family and horrible fathers I will be a good dad.

I believe that my fathers have failed me. I believe that even if you have bad fathers you should learn from their mistakes and not let them influence your parenting skills and lies above there failures. This is what I believe.