Jeff - Albany, New York

I believe in the power of music. The power of music is one like no other and it has the ability to take you on spiritual trips. In spiritual trips I mean that when you are truly engulfed in a song, you are not in the same place mentally that you were before the song was on, and you can tune out the outside world. This is also very therapeutic. Music to me is a great form of therapy because it is soothing and applicable. Even if a song has nothing to do with your life, with an open mind, you are still able to take certain things from it. Some things that I take from music are the ability to express my self. For me personally I try to keep an open mind in everything I do, because I don’t ever want to limit my self, and the same goes for music. I listen to many different types of music, done by different people with different types of delivery and writing styles. This is therapeutic for me because when I am having a bad day, or a good day, I can share that day with the music just by putting on a song that relates to how I am feeling.

A time when my belief in music was tested and shown was on the funeral of my uncle. Funerals are obviously hard are on everybody and very depressing. This was definitely the case with my family because we all felt my uncle died too young from receiving AIDS by sharing heroin needles. One of my daily philosophies is that there is two sides to every coin. So with some planning and help from my mother we were able to organize some music to be played after the funeral. The song we choose to play on repeat was Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men “One Sweet Day”. This is a beautiful song about loosing someone to early but it is also full of rejoice. Because while sitting at a funeral it is undeniably sad, there still is another side to this coin. So while the song came on, it took everybody there about 2 times to hear it, and so soak it in. But after it was heard, and people were listening to the lyrics, you could definitely see people’s spirits rising. You were able to see things on faces that resembled smiles, people were not talking as morbidly. Since I was only 12 when this happened, I was still young, but I was able to recognize the power of music here at my uncle’s funeral. I feel that the song playing single handedly picked up the spirits of everybody there, from a mood that’s morbid to one full of rejoice. This ties directly to my philosophy on the power of music because it shows how strong and therapeutic it is.

I will never forget that day, when one song changed the moods of many people. I love music and what it does for the soul.