Patrick - Doylestown, Pennsylvania

I believe that the most important thing in this world is family; immediate family and extended family. For some reason I feel that people tend to overlook the importance of one’s family.

A family is a close nit group of people that look out for, love and care for each other. As I grow older every day I find that my family is always right behind me. Family is not something that can be taken for granite. My great grandmother passed away this October and it was the first person in my family to do so. It was a very awakening experience knowing that I will never talk to or see my Nanny Millie ever again. It is also very disheartening knowing that I could have spent more time with her when she was alive but I didn’t because I didn’t want to make a two hour car ride.

I went home for Thanksgiving break and I had the best family vacation that I have ever had. The night before Thanksgiving I went to my grandparents house and had dinner with them. At that dinner table my grandfather told me priceless stories of him when he was my age acting like a crazy twenty-two year old. He also included stories about my father, my great grandfather and just about everyone else in my family. The stories were some of the most hysterical things I had ever heard. I thought they were especially funny because they were coming out of my seventy year old grandfather. He also included interesting stories that really made me appreciate the being a part of the family that I belong to. The story time was the one of the best times that I have ever spent with my grandfather. I went over their house originally because I heard my grandfather was not feeling well. He could have fooled me because when he was telling the stories it took him back to exactly how old he was when the story happened. His eyes lit up and he was filled with energy and life from his previous life joys. He actually cried from his own laughter. I know that my grandfather’s life is a little more that ¾ over. This saddens me and I do not want to see him go. If I can make the most of my time with him like I did on Thanksgiving I will be ok with saying goodbye.

My family has given me a solid foundation to live a successful life. My family gives me the opportunity to reflect on my life through the past experiences and occurrences of my family members. Through family members I discover more about myself and who I want to be. This I believe that family is the most important thing in life. I hope that one day when my life is ¾ over I can share stories with my curious grandson and cry laughing about the great times that I have had in my life.