Leticia - Dalton, Georgia
Themes: immigrant

Everyone Deserves a Second Chance

It was 1996, when my mother, siblings and I came to the United States to reunite with my father and my other siblings. I was only nine-years-old when I was— I guess you can say forced to come because no one asked me if I wanted to come or not, I were only told “we are leaving in the morning.” Not knowing any English nor what to expect in a total different world, we came to Dalton.

My first years here were hard because I did not understand what the other kids at school were telling me. I wasn’t sure if they were trying to make friends or cussing at me. It was even harder when we got sick; we needed to go to a doctor, but most doctors were not bilingual, neither were my parents. They had to pay a translate to go with us to a doctor’s office.

The first few years were the hardest in my life. I wasn’t getting used to the language, the people, nor the way of living; which was very different from the town I grew up in Mexico. Coming to the US was my father’s dream, he always wanted the best for his children; “I want you to have, what I did not have”, “I want you to be, what I was not” those were the words of my father, which are still heard in my head as I finish college.

There are many people from other countries wanting to peruse the “American Dream”, but do not have the legal right to come. I believe that if every one deserves a second chance, than any one deserves a chance to come to the US to live the “American Dream.” I believe that if a person wants to come to the US to work in order to support his/her family in another country, they should be given a chance, without them feeling like they are being persecuted because of not having “papers.” Any one who comes to the US should be given the chance to stay and work, without them feeling scare of “la migra.”

Instead of building a wall between Mexico and the US borders, they should try to accommodate something in order for those people that want to come and achieve the American Dream, can come with out any difficulties. And not only Mexicans, anyone that wishes to come should be given that chance.