Lori - Vanderbilt, Pennsylvania
Themes: golden rule

The Golden Rule

“Do unto others as you want to have done unto you.” The Golden Rule is one that has stuck with me for the past 16 years. It is the rule that I still live by every day now in my senior year of college. To me there is no better way to live than by the golden rule. I believe that if everyone were to live by those eleven words, then everyone would be happier.

A few memories stick out in my mind of me following the Golden Rule. In first grade, at bible school all of the kids got stuffed animals, I got a beautiful stuffed seal and was in love with it from the moment I laid my eyes on it. When everything was said and done and we were all leaving I noticed a girl a few years younger than me crying because she did not like the stuffed animal she had gotten. Knowing that I would be able to love the stuffed animal no matter what, I gave up the seal for her animal. I felt much better after that and felt that I had done something good. If I did that for her, maybe some day someone will give me something they have that I really like, just to be nice.

Now a senior in college, I still live by the golden rule everyday. At the beginning of this year I found a student’s id in an ATM machine. Instead of leaving the id there or throwing it away I took the id, found the guy’s e-mail address online, and informed him that I had it. When he said to me “Wow, you’re really nice for doing this,” I didn’t hesitate by answering, “Well, if it happened to me I would want someone to do the same for me.” Hopefully that by not only doing my good deed, but also by telling him why I did it he will be able to take that piece of advice and do something nice for someone else.

For me the Golden Rule is not optional. For as long as I can remember I have lived by the rule, and it will take a lot to stop me from following it now. If anyone were to ever ask me for a little piece of advice, it will always be to follow the Golden Rule, by doing so you will get back what you give and what you want.