Angelica - Pennsylvania

(I originally wrote a core belief statement articulating my belief in communion and the importance it had on my spirit. After the death of one of my best friends I believe my values have changed slightly. True friendship and togetherness have never been more important to me and I know that now.)

Walter Phillip Henry III was a man of honor and trust. No matter what problems I had I always knew that I would be able to call upon Walt to help me solve them; the best caliber of friendship you could find. I met him in High School and immediately noticed something different about his friendship. Although he had been trying to get me to stop seeing my boyfriend I wouldn’t and would soon find out how this would jeopardize our relationship. Soon after he stopped coming to see me during lunch periods I began to miss him terribly. I knew there was something so authentic about his friendship I refused to give it up. I began to stalk him. Everyday during lunch, and the period after, I would go around to his hangouts and ask people where he was. Finally, we got a chance to talk and he realized that I was not going to give him up as a friend so easily.

Walter was killed a couple of weeks ago on November 30, 2006. His father shot him in the head. This is the most devastating and painful experience of my life. I was completely hysterical for days straight. I could do nothing but cry and think about him; all the good times we had with each other. Like the times we would wrestle because of course I was stronger than he was. And the wagers we would make to see if I could eat and entire rack of ribs. He knew me better than anyone. I honestly believe he knew me better than my own mother and anyone who knew us would probably agree. I began to recall all the wonderful moments I spent with him and it hurt more and more. I would miss him and never have such a friendship again.

Throughout my hurtful experience I had many people support and comfort me…all but my second best friend. After not hearing from her for two days after the incident I began to re-evaluate the friendships in my life. For life is too short and if you have friends in which cannot even pick you up when you are down then perhaps you shouldn’t look to them as friends. Many of the people who tried to console me had been friends that I had never thought of as such great friends but were. I began to respect them more and nurture and value our relationships a little more.

It has not even been two weeks and I already feel like many of my relationships have grown while some I have let go. My message to you is to make time for those you love and care about. Make sure they know how much your friendship means. Friendships are a beautiful and an important factor in life. If weren’t for all the friends who came running by my side in my time of need, I may still be sitting in my room crying my eyes out.