Jackie - Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in living in the moment. Often time passes before I know it, but I cannot let the future speed up the present. I remember always wanting to be older when I was a child; I wanted to be in Middle School when I was in Elementary School and High School when I was in Middle School.

When you have something wonderful to look forward to, it’s hard to not rush through the little everyday experiences. I look back on my High School graduation; I remember it as one of the greatest days of my life. I couldn’t wait to get out of those dingy hallways, leaky ceilings, and away from the petty drama. But as soon as I threw my cap in the air, a tear rolled down my cheek. Did four years of my life really just end? As I listened to Leann Womacks song “I hope you dance”, for the first time I knew for now on I had to live in the moment. I had let High School pass me by like it was nothing, and now it was already over. College and vacations were going to come eventually, but I wasted so much time thinking about those things that I missed out on what was going on in my life at that time. I would never get back the feeling of joy that was running through my body as I hugged all of my friends.

I have a very large extended family. I rarely get to see everyone since they are from all over the United States. I haven’t seen my aunt or grandmom from California since I was five years old. Over this past Thanksgiving, my ENTIRE family came over for dinner; I got the opportunity to catch up with family I hadn’t seen for years. We sat down after dinner and played “Taboo” together. I don’t think that I’ve ever laughed so hard in my entire life. I knew nights like this were not going to occur very often. I looked around and smiled, enjoying every single minute of that night. I made the most out of this night because I knew the limited time that I had to spend with these people.

These are only two experiences where my belief was so distinct. But because of events like these, I look at every day as a new day. I let each day happen as I want it to happen. I try not to look forward to tomorrow, and instead enjoy the present day. Do things you never thought you’d do, be spontaneous, and live each day in the moment.