Kathryn - State College, Pennsylvania

“Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so love the people who treat you right, forget about the ones who don’t, and believe that everything happens for a reason.” I believe that too many people in this world worry about minor things in life that they can’t control. Life really is short, and time shouldn’t be wasted being sad or unhappy about things you don’t have any power over. Rather than distressing over a situation you can’t control, embrace it and learn from it. Everything in life happens for a reason, the bad as well as the good. I believe you should enjoy the good times, and take the bad times for what they’re worth. Learn from mistakes and upsetting situations so that in the future you will be a stronger person.

I was fortunate enough to grow up in a good area with supportive family and friends. Even so, I have run into many hard times in my life. While growing up I have been in many situations that have been difficult and unpleasant. One of the most difficult times for me was when I first came to Penn State. I was the only one of my friends from home to travel out of state to go to college, and I immediately felt isolated. On top of that, Penn State is one of the largest universities you can attend and it was a hard adjustment trying to meet people and make new friends.

A few weeks after classes started, I learned that my best friend from home was sick with cancer. I still remember getting the phone call. I was sitting on my bed flipping through my psychology book when my friend called me. I was caught so off guard I think I laughed at first, and then became silent because I felt like someone punched me in the stomach. Suddenly the problems I was struggling with were put into perspective. My worries about making new friends, wearing the right clothes, and finding the “cool” parties no longer seemed legitimate. Here I was worrying about such trivial things, while my friend was going through one of the hardest times of her life.

It then became clear to me that the most important things in life aren’t material, but rather the relationships that you have with people. Without the support of friends and family the hard times would be a million times harder; possibly unbearable. So the next time you are upset remember, life is a wonderful and challenging experience that we are all so lucky to have. Enjoy it and don’t take it for granted.