Joseph - State College, Pennsylvania

Don’t Worry, be Happy

Many of the beliefs that I live by are basic and most are related. At the root of my beliefs lies the simple principle of do what makes you happy. It wasn’t originally clear to me how important and fundamental to my lifestyle this was. I am now in my final semester at college, and have finally realized that this is the driving force in my life. I learned that I picked my major for the wrong reasons, and for that I am regretful. I started my studies at The Pennsylvania State University in the field of mechanical engineering. I quickly decided that the major was not for me, and then I switched into finance because I thought it would be the best way to make money upon graduating. This should not be your criteria for selecting a major, although many people may pressure you to feel this way.

Over the past three summers, I have worked at the corporate headquarters of a major corporation as an internal auditor in their finance department. The money was very good, and this originally kept me motivated. This past summer however, I realized that I really didn’t enjoy going to work. All the raises and high pay were no longer worth the boring tasks that were assigned to me. Every day I would dread going to work and could not wait for the weekends. When I arrived back at school this fall for my final semester, I finally realized that I am not a money or power driven individual. All that I care about is being happy and enjoying what I do for a living.

What makes me happy are strong and real relationships with friends and family. Laughing and interacting with people are what make me tick. Listening to music, working with computers, cars, and technology are hobbies that I love. This may have been the most important lesson that I learned while at college. There is no point in doing something you don’t enjoy, no matter how much money you make. Money really can’t buy happiness, and although it is unfortunate I didn’t learn this lesson before I selected a major, at least I learned it before it was too late and worked at jobs for thirty years that I didn’t like. People always use to tell me that, “If work was fun, they wouldn’t have to pay you for it,” but I don’t believe in this statement at all. All you have to do is find your passion and simply do what makes you happy, and the rest will fall into place.