Patricia - Knoxville, Tennessee

In life there needs to be fun. For everyone it is different but for me it is about getting back to the simple. I find that thing in backpacking. I love the way that it makes me feel. As the seasons begin to get cooler I find my self looking forward to the new years trip again. Some years I have gone for almost two weeks and some years I have gone for only a few days. One year that stands out for me is the one that could not have seemed at the time to be any worse. I almost considered putting up my hiking boots for ever, but as it turns out I wish that I could always have as good of a trip as I did that Christmas.

It started out just like any other trip. I remember thinking that this was going to be a great week. The weather was sunny and warm. I got to the trailhead and got ready to go. I headed down the trail at staggering speeds. This was the first trip that I had brought my dog, Lucy. The first two days were going great but then things began to get kind of ere. The sky began to turn dark, and the temperature was dropping. Lucy and I decided to get a camp site, and settle in for the might. I slept so good that I was thinking about becoming a permanent mountaineer. Things were stable for about three days when things began to get worse. Then one night I was having dinner and building a camp fire, when an ember came out of the fire and began to light the can of gas on fire. All at once it seemed to be burned up. Everything that I had brought was gone. All the things that I needed were gone. I went to bed that night cold and worried about how the rest of the trip was going to be. I woke up the next morning with a renewed sense of faith. I had a choice to move on with the rest of the hike or to go home and return again another time. I decided that I would go on and finish the trip even with my concerns. I packed up my bag and headed down the trail. A few days later I found my self sitting at the campfire with Lucy and thinking that I would not trade this for the world. I was so relaxed and calm I hoped that the feeling would never end. The weather had been beautiful and the night was clear. It was then that I realized that this if what life is all about for me.

For everyone there is something that makes them happy for some it is a good book. For others it may be a slow walk in the park, a good movie, or even enjoying great takeout while watching a movie. I believe that everyone should do what makes them happy. No matter how many busy days that I have I believe that there is always time to take for me to do the things that make me happy.