David - Hawthorne, New Jersey

I Believe in Being Passionate About Something

In today’s fast paced world, it’s rare that someone finds something they can be truly passionate about. Everyone seems to be too busy to figure it out, but I have been lucky enough to find something that moves me in a way nothing else can. Music has been a part of my life since I was just six years old. It was at that age that I asked my parents if I could take what would become the first of countless piano lessons. And the rest, as they say, is history. I’m twenty-one years old now, and I am still as enamored by the sound of the instrument as I was the first time I played Mary Had a Little Lamb start to finish.

Since that first lesson I have moved on to perform in recitals, entertain at parties, play in bands, and gain an absolute respect for music that I hold very dear to my heart. But of all the things I have accomplished, the most important to my appreciation of music, and the most worthwhile, has been teaching the piano. When I was sixteen I had my first opportunity to do so when my teacher, the owner of my music school, asked if I had any interest in taking a few students. Over the next three years I taught students ranging in age from seven to thirty-seven, and the experience had a profound effect on me. It was hearing that sigh of relief when a young student finally learned those difficult few bars, or seeing the big smile on their face when they looked over at me after playing a song perfectly that made me remember why I had stuck with it for so many years.

As I have gotten a little older, music has become many different things to me. It has become an escape from the mundane, a stress reliever, and a form of personal expression. And slowly, it has grown to be my greatest passion. I find that if there’s a piano around somewhere, it’s impossible for me to be bored. My most satisfying moments are those spent sitting at that bench playing. It doesn’t matter if it’s Bach, Billy Joel, or just something I made up on the spot; If I’m playing, I’m happy. Years ago, my great aunt embroidered a framed picture for me that said “Music is a fair and glorious gift of God.” That frame is still mounted above my piano, and it is a constant reminder of how fortunate I am to have found something to be passionate about.