Meghan - New London TWP, Pennsylvania

Pursuing My Dreams

I believe in pursuing my dreams. There are certainly times when it seems difficult, and I question myself, but I have learned that the really important things are worth going after. The right attitude combined with plenty of determination can get you far, and I expect nothing less from myself.

For a long time, it has been my dream to live in Portland, Maine. I think it started somewhere around middle school when I went there for the first time. As far back as I can remember, I have spent a week or two during the summer visiting my grandparents at their second home in Center Conway, New Hampshire. During one of the visits, we traveled to Portland for the day, and I fell in love with it. I loved all of the small, unique shops, the streets paved in brick, the old buildings, the people’s accents, and of course, the ocean. I knew it was where I wanted to be. After that, we generally went back each time we were in New Hampshire, and it was always one of the highlights of my trip.

Now that I have gotten older and will be graduating from college soon, I have been thinking about Portland more than ever. Will it be realistic to move there after graduation? Will I be able to find a job? Will I be too far away from my family? Despite my concerns, I have decided to pursue a move to Portland, but I often question how realistic I am being. Looking for a job is very difficult, and though I have applied for several positions, I don’t have any really good leads at this point. It has been hard to remain optimistic.

To further add to my dilemma, I recently interviewed for a position back home, and I expect to hear whether or not I got an offer in a couple of days. After the interview, I felt good about working for the company. It seemed like a job I could be happy with. If I get the offer and still have no solid prospects in Portland, I may accept it.

It’s a difficult decision, but I’m starting to realize that if I don’t move to Portland right now, it doesn’t mean I’m giving up. Most dreams don’t have a deadline, and sometimes it might be helpful to not rush into things. Portland and I have been in a committed, long-distance relationship for awhile, and I think we can hold out a little longer. I may just need a little more experience before I can find a job there. Often it pays to take a little extra time to do something the right way. I know that even if it takes me a few years, I will end up in Portland because it is a dream I will never give up on.