Robert - Logan, Utah

My Resolution is to Keep My Resolution

With New Years Resolutions coming close I have been reflecting on the things I have accomplished over the past year. It has become apparent to me that I have not accomplished one thing on my list from last year. “Why is this?” I have pondered. I had the usual things such as eat healthier, exercise, blah, blah, blah. Is this what I truly wanted?

A New Year’s Resolution should be something that is obtainable and that you truly want to achieve. As a sales professional I set goals daily, weekly, and monthly as part of my job. I am a believer in setting goals. I am proud to say that most of the goals I set at work, I accomplish. I know from my extensive studying of goals that a good goal needs to be obtainable, specific, have a deadline, and be something I believe in. Why have I not applied these principles in setting a New Year’s Resolution? A New Year’s Resolution simply put, is a goal that you want to achieve.

Most New Year’s Resolutions are not kept or accomplished because people don’t want what they have put on their list enough to actually do the steps necessary to finish it. For instance, I as well as millions of other people have said they want to get into shape. To me it is more painful to not eat the foods I like and exercise than to be a few pounds overweight. Therefore, I don’t fulfill the steps necessary to get into shape. So, why do I put it on my list year after year?

While setting a resolution one needs to consider what they are committing to and decide what they will need to do to complete the goal and decide whether the benefits will outweigh the work and/or pain that will be a precursor to accomplishment.

I have learned that I can accomplish anything that I put my mind to. I also believe that everyone else can do the same. While setting my Resolutions for 2007 I am going to apply these principles. I am going to set goals for what I truly desire. No more theoretical resolutions for me. I will keep my resolutions. Follow up with me next year…