Katie - McLean, Virginia

I Believe in Dogs

I believe in one dog, the pet almighty! Nothing beats coming home to a smiling face, a wagging tail, a few barks of excitement, and an appreciative kiss on the face. Dogs are man’s best friend and I believe that everyone needs at least one in their life. Dogs are always there for you when you’re feeling blue. They know how to cheer you up and sense when you are down. They know when they should curl up in bed with you to help console you, and they know when to get you to go out and play with them. Dogs are wonderful members of the family who make life more enjoyable.

When I was born my parents had two poodles, Bucky and Juco. From the moment my parents brought me home from the hospital they guarded my crib to make sure I stayed safe. They growled at unfamiliar people who came to see me. They knew that I was precious to my parents. Sadly both Bucky and Juco were elderly when I came home, and died when I was 7 (they were 17!).

Now we have two new poodles, Precious and Pierre, and now they too are elderly. But, like Bucky and Juco, they are always there when we need them. When I would come home from school in tears they would cuddle with me on the couch which helped to relax and calm me. They always cheer me up and are there for me when I need them.

We too are there for them. Three years ago, Pierre had surgery on his back left knee ligament since he tore it from being too active. Recently we also started giving him a sub-cutaneous IV drip because he has kidney failure (it’s the equivalent to dialysis on humans). Precious now has a fake eye since the real one had a tumor that couldn’t be removed, and we thought she deserved better than to just sew the eye closed. My roommates tease me that we give our dogs surgeries and procedures that some humans can’t even afford, but we don’t care, we love them! Our vet told us that when he retires he’s coming to live at our house. He said that if we treat our dogs this good, he can’t wait to see how we treat humans!

My dogs aren’t just pets, they’re members of the family! Everyone deserves a special bond with an animal and I believe dogs are they way to go. They know when you’re upset and help make everything feel better. They are fun to play with and help keep you young and active. They are always in a good mood even when you aren’t that nice to them – they invented unconditional love. Dogs rule!