Jason - Knoxville, Tennessee

Through out my life I don’t think that I have ever actually been given a piece of advice from anybody, well, not directly. I’m nineteen now and my dad is a retired master chief, but it wasn’t long ago that he was missing from at least a quarter of my life and at least half the time that I really needed him to be there. When I was little my dad was always working. He would always just get up in the morning around six o-clock, leave before I got up, and coming home around six or seven. Most of the time he would come home and fall asleep on couch. It wasn’t until recently that I realized what he was always doing, everyday. He was going through the motions. He worked long hours, everyday, just so that my brother and I could live a comfortable life without care, always having everything that our hearts could desire.

My son was born last year. He is nineteen months old and the light of my life. It wasn’t until after he was born that I realized why my Dad would go threw the motions. I now go threw the motions all on my own. I work at a job that I don’t really like, and I go to school to learn everything that I will need to help get a better job to support him. I go threw the motions everyday. I get up, take a shower, get baby’s lunch together, wake baby up, give baby a bath, get baby dressed, take baby to daycare, go to school, come home at nine o’clock at night, put baby down to bed, give baby a kiss, do homework, go to bed, and repeat the next day. Through these motions I know that I will be able to support my son. That he will live a life of happiness and without care just like my brother and me.

All in all I find that the motions are sometimes all that matter in life. Sometimes it isn’t that we enjoy doing these motions, as much as it is the desired outcome that results in the actions of completing the motions. I don’t like my job very much, but I still do everything in my power to do my best at my job, so that I may get a raise or a bonus and be able to support my son better. You see we all must go threw these motions. The motions that I do may not be the same motions as the guy living next door, or the woman in the courthouse, but they are just as important. The motions make us who we are, by the experiences that we gain by going through them, and the hurt we gain when we fail or stumble. But it’s in the motions to begin with. And it’s the motions that get us to the end of the day. But until them, I’ll keep going through the motions.