steven - knoxville, Tennessee

Your True Self

During childhood a person is suppose to be nurtured by others around him or her. Childhood in general was a challenge for me because I didn’t have anyone to help me through difficulties such as work and school. I believe that I am a better person today because of the environment I grew up in.

Work and school have been a big challenge for me, because I never saw much of my parents. My mother would take me to school and pick me up from school, but she was always busy working. If I wanted to discuss a situation about work or school, I would call my grandmother for advice or solve the issue on my own. My grandmother’s advice always seemed to make any difficult situation easy to fix, and the problem was usually solved after I talked to her. For example I was about to drop out of high school because of my math grade. She helped me with my math a refreshed my memory on how important school is to having a successful career.

At the age of 17 my father rented an apartment for my brother and I to teach us how to be responsible. This helped me a great deal but for my brother, I could only wish the same. He dropped out of school and partied constantly. I, on the other hand, stayed in school and graduated early. In this situation my brother’s parties were his priorities while my priorities were studying, doing good in school, and working. I refuse to partying because it doesn’t contribute to my life long goals. By keeping my priorities straight I could prevail in life without the support of my family. Being true to myself, I didn’t veer off course from my life goals, and in turn allowed me to focus more on my future.

Looking back on my childhood, I would not blame my parents, or all of the negative influences. I would simply say “thank you” for showing me how strong a person I really am. While reflecting back on my childhood I can honestly say that I am a strong person for this. I believe that oneday when and if I have children, I would raise them in a different manner then my parents raised me. I am proud to say I that I am who I am today because of my dedication to life and so far it has been worth every minute.

Every person deep inside has the will power to become whatever they wish. However, people need the determination to really discover their true inner self, this I believe.