Benjamin - knoxville, Tennessee

Wearing Clothes is a good thing

My name is Ben and this I believe to be true, a person is not justified when trying to make judgments or assumptions on an individual by their attire rather than observations based on personal account. It began when I was a young freshman still keeping to myself, feeling threatened by older potentially abusive dominant males and even females, life had a way of getting me down. Eventually after feeling like everyone else was out to punch me in the face or pull my pants down in front of a group of girls I began to build a defense tactic. It came to me like a column of white light beaming from heaven. I would make fun of what they chose to wear! Yes, I would insult them for a completely normal survival tactic such as dress conformity. Jocks would all be jerks, Goths would be jerks, thugs would be jerks, and hippies would be stupid. No longer would I be harassed by thoughts of inferiority and insecurity. I would isolate myself from this idiotic need to dress a certain way. Through some extreme example of human ignorance I convinced myself that I was correct.

I imagined their clothing constantly burdened their mind and ate away at their sanity like a parasite, but not me! Little did I know that all that I was really doing was setting myself up for a struggle to wear clothes that no one else was wearing. I would not be like “those idiots”. I became completely afraid of dressing the wrong way. I hated clothes. Little did I know that I had opened a Pandora’s Box. All of these pestering thoughts mustered up a dust storm in my mind. After about 2 or so years of this I began to feel that something was missing, like a vital internal organ had been removed, my mind felt bothered. Eventually I thought to myself, “I must be doing something very ignorant and unnecessary”.

Once I entered my upper classmen years I wasn’t frightened of public ridicule and embarrassment. I realized that what people wear doesn’t necessarily define who they are. Unless you want to go around naked you can’t reasonably criticize people for wearing certain colors or styles of clothes just because you build some colossal imaginary importance on fabric. I believe people should get out there and wear absolutely anything they want! And once I realized that clothes are only clothes I could spend my time focusing on important things such as how can I write more this I believe essays!