Jacob - Lynchburg, Virginia

My family setting is unlike most people I know. My Grandparents live right next door to me on the right and my Aunt and uncle, along with my seven cousins live next door to me on the other side. My other aunt and uncle and my two other cousins live right behind me. I am one of six children; all from the same marriage and my parents are still together. Every Sunday afternoon after church you will find my whole family at my grandparents house sitting around one table eating a special home cooked meal made by my grandmother. You will also find us all over there for every holiday and even for each family members birthday party.

My parents have been passing down the family traditions to my brothers, sisters, and I. Every night my mom prepares a home cooked meal. We all sit down together at the same time, eat and talk about each of our day. At least once a week we have a family time. This is where we all set aside some time in the week to spend the night as a family, playing games, relaxing and maybe watching a movie together. This time we spend together is a time we all get to grow closer to one another, finding out how it is a joy to spend time as a family. My father has always taken my three brothers and me hunting. This is a time where we get to spend even more time together, learning from my dad.

This is what I believe. I believe in true time spent together as a family. I believe that the moral decay, along with many other problems of this world is due to the lack of family structure. I believe that the home is where it all begins and plays the biggest role in how society is run these days. I believe that when a family does not spend quality time together then the children, the next generation will not be taught the true values that a home should consist of. I believe that the love of a family is the supreme medicine of ones soul. I believe that the wisdom of a father being passed down to his sons, like my father is doing with me and my other brothers, about being real men, is the greatest wisdom a young boy can learn as he is growing up. I believe in quality family time. I believe that families should be spending more quality time together, learning from one another.

I use to hate spending so much time as a family, dreading having family time once a week, but now I realize the importance of spending time as a family. I now know why my parents insisted on doing so many things together as a family. I have grown to love spending time with my family and that has shaped how I believe that time spent as a family is so important.