Deanna - Knoxville, Tennessee

Peace on Earth, Goodwill to Men

I couldn’t explain to you the excitement that surged through my body as my siblings and I turned the corner of our old brink house on that cold, Christmas Eve. I was wide-eyed at what I saw. To me, a five year old, it was the biggest mountain of presents I had ever seen, just sitting there in our yard. We couldn’t help the huge smiles that illumined our faces as we rushed to tell momma what we had found.

It had been a hard year financially for our family, despite my dad’s long hours at work, and the few meager presents under our Christmas tree testified to that fact. Now, you couldn’t find more delighted children in our entire neighborhood. Giggles seemed contagious as we carried arm-load after arm-load of gifts into the house and placed them under our Christmas tree.

To this day, I do not know who secretly, and so generously, brought those gifts over to our family, or even what they brought. But I will always remember an important lesson I learned from whoever it was. They taught me this not by any poetic writing, beautiful song lyrics, or loud declaration, but by the quiet whisper of their actions; by the fact that there were gifts sitting in our yard that Christmas eve to brighten the faces of six grateful children, and bring tears of joy to the eyes of their mother.

They taught me that what I truly believe, I will do, rather then just say. My family had Christmas gifts that year because someone chose to do more then just say “Peace on earth, goodwill to men,” they choose take action, to give of there time and money to bring that goodwill to our front door.

A belief is only as genuine as the action that follows; this I believe.