Deidra - Port Tobacco, Maryland

*Looking like yourself is always your best look*

If you could be anyone in the world, who would you be? I’d be myself! My name is Deidra and I believe that being yourself is the best way to express who you really are. You will have many people love you for who you are and not for what you’re pretending to be.

When I was a little kid grew up like every other kid; playing with toys, having tantrums and being loud. You know kid stuff. I did goofy things until I started elementary school. It was around second grade when I started to make real friends, not just coloring buddies, which were showing me what they thought was cool and what wasn’t. To some of them, being rude and disruptive to others was the cool thing to do. I made a lot of friends doing this, but they weren’t really my friends if you think about it. They liked me because I was “cool” in their eyes. I wasn’t cool though, I was plain out mean. I got worse and worse as the years went by.

When I hit middle school I was a little bit better because I was scared of getting into trouble when I used to love it. In my first year, sixth grade, I was myself. I thought I would never make friends being myself, but it turned out I had more real friends then I had before. I made real friends who wanted to hang out with me because I didn’t try to be someone else. Towards the middle of sixth grade I became very rude, snobby, and popular for all the wrong reasons. I was friends with a lot of cheerleaders who were on the squad with me and I didn’t like how some of them acted and treated others. I was only making friends to be like the girls I was with. The other kids didn’t really like me and I didn’t care. I liked being popular. Before our competition I returned my uniform and quit. When I went back to school the next week I tried to talk to the girls and they ignored and laughed at me. I lost so many friends that didn’t like me and ended up getting teased by them. I was so stressed about all that had happened that I didn’t give others a chance to be my friend. In seventh and eighth grade I decided to be me, Deidra, and it turned out to be great. I made great friends who didn’t care what I looked like, how much money I had, none of that stuff mattered to them. My years turned out to be the best and most fun of them all.

I’m now in ninth grade and I am still myself. I believe in who I am and what I do. I’ve learned to ignore what others say about me and to only listen to myself and do what I feel is right. I have tons of wonderful friends who won’t try to change the way I am because they like me just the way I am. I love who I am and I don’t think anyone else will change my ways.