Trevor - Knoxville, Tennessee

The Sound of Serenity

Music is capable of guiding you on a journey through the every day life of a musician or vocalist. The essence of music is most strongly attained through the self expression of the artist’s feelings, emotions, and passions. The creation of a powerful song is what I believe to be one of the most important aspects of music. Like many people, I have an incredible passion for music. For me, it all started when I began listening to a few select artists before I began high school, such as: Maynard James Keenan of Tool, Layne Staley of Alice in Chains, Zach de la Rocha of Rage Against the Machine, and Sully Erna of Godsmack. As I listened to these men sing, chant, yell, and recite the words they chose to express their feelings, I started to understand a way to express my own feelings. After my parents divorce, I was elected to stay at home and raise myself and younger siblings. This left me with ample time to begin writing poetry and lyrics while singing my heart out to my colleagues. I found other classmates like myself that joined in with my will to produce a musical escape. Through the formation of several small jam bands, I began putting my writing to work, practicing and recording the feelings I had during that time. Unfortunately, my former band members did not hold music as highly as I did myself. I then commenced to sing solely for my own satisfaction. Since that time, I have stopped writing but continue to sing other people’s songs in order to practice for the day I find the harmony that I am seeking among fellow musicians. Developing my talent keeps me sane and happy regardless of what is happening in my life at the time. Nowadays, I surround myself with others that share my same passion of music which helps to keep my fire fueled. One of the main benefits I find in music that I have not been able to find elsewhere is the ability to change my mood by tapping into the soul of the artist. I believe that music can alter your state of mind and emotions through tone, melody, harmony, and lyricism.