Thomas - Tiffin, Ohio

I believe that baseball is the best form of socialization.

Sports teach you so many things whether it be leadership, teamwork, how to treat your body, or just make friends. I have played many sports throughout my life and my favorite has always been baseball. In baseball teamwork is the most essential element. When a team is playing well then the team wins. In baseball the game cannot be one by just one person like in other sports.

Though baseball is almost all teamwork it does also depend on an individual’s performance. If every player works as hard as they can to be the best then there will be a great team. If one player however isn’t working hard to be the best that they can the team can pick them up to win the game.

I have also learned leadership through baseball. When a player is down or not playing so good I could step in and get them thinking positive and hopefully turn around their play. If nobody steps it up and becomes a leader then the team will fail. This leadership carries off of the field and when a player is having a problem you are able to deal with it better because you have learned how to step in and help someone out through your sport.

Everybody wants a friend and if you play baseball you can have at least eight of them. In order to be successful on the diamond you have to get along with your teammates. It is difficult to just put up with someone and play the game because you will be to busy thinking about how much you don’t like them and most likely mess up. If you have a friend on the field it is easy to turn that friend into a friend off of the field.

Sports are what give you your competitive edge. They turn your body and mind into winners, always wanting the best. This carries over into work because you want to be better then your other employees. Your working as hard as you can to be the best and to win.

Baseball teaches you so many things about life and how to become a better, fuller person. I will continue to play this wonderful pastime until I cannot in which case I will pass it on to my family.