Megan - State College, Pennsylvania

I believe in My Own Life

I was never the optimistic person. If I were to describe how I viewed life it would have to be realistic. I took what came at me and didn’t think twice about it. I thought at the time I was handling every situation the best that I could. Meanwhile, if I were to describe how I felt it would have to be sad. I thought that I had no control over my feelings. To me they were just a result of what has happening around me and to me.

There came a time, I cannot tell you exactly when, but I realized I was very unhappy and I hated being unhappy. My parents and brother and friends had been asking my why I had stopped smiling. I guess I wanted to believe that they just caught me on a bad day. Acknowledging that other people could see that I was unhappy would force me to admit to myself that something had to change.

I did a lot of self reflection to find out what made me so unhappy and to find what I could change. I didn’t want to, I couldn’t, continue to live my life this way. I realized that I could take control of my life and make myself happy.

I started doing things that I enjoyed.

I started making decisions for me and not for other people.

I started choosing to not let the little things bother me.

I started avoiding negative situations.

I started living the life that I wanted.

I started taking control of my own life.

The best thing that I have ever done for me is taking control of my own life. I am a much happier person now. I have learned how to deal with the bad things in life and how to embrace the good things in life.

I believe in my own life. I can do with it what I please. I can now enjoy all of the experiences that come my way. I want to get the most out of life and I realize that I can do that by taking control.