Loise - Lynchburg, Virginia
Themes: love

I believe I am not too young to know what falling in love is. I’m 18 and I can confidently say that I know what it means to fall in love. It’s not about a tingly feeling in your stomach or about the clouds opening up with chorus every time you kiss; instead, it’s about what you feel when you see him smile. It is all about what you would do to get him out of his busy schedule to spend just five minutes with him. It’s the feeling you get when he holds you tight and tells you everything is going to be alright. It is about the tears that roll down his cheeks that make you feel as if your heart just got thrown out of an eight-story building.

Yes ma’am, I know what it means to be in love. You don’t see what I see in his eyes when he looks at me. Neither do you understand what it feels like to see the pride he has when he introduces me to his friends. You are never there when we’ve argued and mad at each other and he turns around, holds me and says he is sorry regardless of whether it was his fault or not. You’ll never know how it feels when he holds my hand and tells me he loves me.

No sir, he’s not out for sex, and if he is he’s going to have to wait until we both say ‘I do’. He’s not even interested with how I look; he understands beauty is from the inner being not the outer. He doesn’t care about how much money I have or for that matter don’t have. He sees me from the inside out. He loves me for who I am. He understands my weaknesses and uses them to make me stronger.

When we are together nothing else seems worth it. We look good together others have said, but that does nothing for me. What gets me is how happy we are when we are around each other. I believe I’m not too young to know what falling in love means, and if this is not it then I guess I’ll never know.

Who would have ever thought Loise who was raped at the age of 8, who was bullied for years, who didn’t love who she was until months ago would understand such a thing as this? I am still learning but this I believe: I am not too young to know what falling in love is.