Katherin - Osceola, Arkansas
Themes: carpe diem

How You Play the Game is What Matters

If everyone in the world were given one million dollars, would they be rich

tomorrow? In my opinion, there would be the few rich people, but more who are poor. It

would be because they don’t know how to manage money. I believe that Josh Billings

quote, “Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing those you hold well,”

means that anything one possesses is not useful unless one knows how to use it correctly.

For instance, if a farmer bought some land, but didn’t know how to get the best results

out of the land, then he wasted his money. He had this huge amount of land , but he

didn’t know the best way to go about the situation. It does not just apply to money, but

also to occupations, objects, power, and many more factors in life.

One of my friends’ dad received a promotion to manager of his corporation. He

was an extremely lucky individual to get this position, but he didn’t do his job well. He

got to caught up in the fact that he was manager that he didn’t put enough effort into it,

which got him fired. He ended up in a worse position than he was before the promotion.

Life throws so many outstanding opportunities out, but few people know exactly what to

do with them.

There are things that I buy or that are given to me all of the time that I don’t know

how to use well. When I got my first phone, I didn’t know how to take care of it or use

it properly. It ended up getting broken within two weeks. I got something that was worth

a lot, but then I didn’t think about how to correctly take care of it before hand, and I

ended up with nothing in the end. There is always a way to correctly do something and

to do it well.

Power has a major effect on an individual. Power is power in itself. When one

individual has an overwhelming amount of power, like Adolf Hitler, it takes over them.

Hitler began to see what he could do in his position, but he used it in a negative way. He

had a humungous amount of control over thousands of people, and he didn’t use it well.

There are several instances when one person gets in a position of authority and doesn’t

know how to use it for the betterment of the world.

Billings’ quote has made me truly think about how I am using things. Am I

Using my money, possessions, and authority wisely? All of these questions come into

play when I try to analyze the quote. Life isn’t about how much of something you have,

but it is about the way in which you use it. There is not enough time in a lifetime to

worry about getting everything you want. Life would be better if you lived to the fullest

with what you have.