Julie - York, Pennsylvania
Themes: integrity

“No Mom, I went to school today,” I answered my Mother’s probing question before ducking into my room to hide the guilt seeping from my eyes. The setting is my senior year in high school and my ambitions are to live life as vividly and broadly as I deem possible. The act of lying to achieve such ambitions had become almost an artistic trend in my life. I didn’t mind lying to my friends or my parents, and least of all to myself. A white lie, a big lie, a stupid lie; they were all the same to me. The solution to every problem in my life was simply to extend the truth, rewrite it or even blatantly make it up. And soon, what started innocently enough became an addiction.

However, my time had come and the scarring truth behind the web of lies that I had twined together was about to be exposed. You see my Mom had already previous knowledge from the school district that I had skipped school that day. And her disappointment in me was to only grow deeper from that point on. I had let not only my parents down, but I had been hurting myself in return. For as Proverbs 12:17 says, “Truthful words stand the test of time, but lies are soon exposed.”

A liar can become trapped by their own lies, as they twist the facts to support their beliefs and actions. I realized that I was defending myself on a regular basis, not that I needed to, but because I felt that it was necessary to pave a smooth road of happiness for those around me. I quickly learned that the gains I thought I was making were no more than flattery and not substantial.

I did not want to be that person who is weak and walking lost in society because their own soul had vanished amongst their fraudulent ways. I wanted to be honest. I wanted my friends to know me. I wanted my parents to know me. And I wanted to be me. I wanted to honestly earn the respect and trust of others, gain friendships and achieve success because I was able to stand up for myself with the nothing more than the truth behind me.

“Truthful words stand the test of time …,” and I want to too. For I believe that every individual has a moral obligation to be honest and fair in life. I have spent the past four years working hard to regain the trust that I lost that day with my Mom. It is easy to ask for a second chance when we make mistakes, however, it is not always easy to be the one to give someone a second chance. Don’t make the mistake of lying and having to ask for that opportunity. Be a strong individual, one who will speak the truth and live a life of honesty, stand the test of time.