Stephanie - Lynchburg, Virginia

There are many important issues that I feel I should establish beliefs upon, but one that I have found to be one of the most important issues would be taking things for granted. I believe that I should never take life, especially people in my life for that matter, for granted. Life is such a short and precious thing to waste and I really must make the most of it. I believe that everything happens for a reason. The people in my life are not just coincidence; there are reasons behind why they have been introduced to me. I believe that God has placed them there; whether they are there for beneficial reasons or to bring temptation into my life; it is significant. I believe that I should make the most of each relationship to help profit them and me. I feel strongly about this issue because of the tragedy that my family and I had to encounter about nine years ago.

When I was nine years old my sister had moved to Florida with her fairly new husband. It was hard to see her a lot considering I live in Pennsylvania. I hardly got to see her before she moved because she always lived in a different state. She was sixteen years older than me so we could not have the closest of relationships, but nonetheless I still loved her very much. Naturally, I looked up to her as younger sisters tend to do. It was December of 1995 when she went into labor with her first baby girl. My mom flew down do Florida to be with her. I had asked my mom if I could come, but she did not think it was the best of ideas considering I was in school. When my sister went into the hospital to have her baby, there were complications that were completely unexpected. The baby had made it safely and then two days after she was born, my sister had passed away. My sister’s lungs had filled with fluids and the doctors had failed to give her the proper medicines. My entire family was changed and in particular my mother was devastated. That is when my eyes were opened to the concept of taking advantage of every opportunity to be with your loved ones and even acquaintances.

That is why I believe you should never take people in your life for granted. I never got the chance to say goodbye to my sister and that is something that I have to live with for the rest of my life. I wish now that I had more opportunities to have spent more time with her and really know let her know how much I cared about her. I believe we should treat everyday as if it were our last because you never know when that person in hall that you pass by everyday on the way to class, or even someone as close to you as your sibling, could pass away.