Jacob - Lynchburg, Virginia
Themes: courage, love, purpose

I believe that a passionate life, is a life worth living. Within everyone is a longing, a fire, that wants to be satisfied. I believe that only through love, courage, and self-sacrifice can you ever get a glimpse of what your personal own passion is. Passion is the driving force behind the great undertakings of history. Passion can move the strongest individual to tears, motivate the hopeless, or even make the selfish sacrifice.

Christian Friedrich Hebbel wrote, “Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion.” In today’s society filled with apathy, frustration, and neglect, it is easy to see that people have lost sight of what makes the fire within them burn. But I have seen what passion truly is in my own lifetime through the person of my mother. She is the living embodiment of passion to me, displaying love, courage, and self-sacrifice. She gives of herself even though she has nothing left to give, loving when love is not returned to her, facing everyday unsure of what may come, but believing that God will bring her through. Never has she let the light of her spark of life, her passion, be snuffed out. Her family comes before her own self, despite sickness, brokenness, or whatever may come, she lives on passionately.

In trying to find the reason behind my burning desire, I have had many journeys. Journeys both good and bad, I have discovered what I was born for, why I was placed on this earth. I’m one of the lucky ones, for I have discovered my purpose, but many people spend their lives searching for answers but never finding. A call to arms, that is what passion can be said to be. What other phrase can be used to describe a mother’s, my mother’s, love that she would go hunger at night so that her children might be fed, or for a young man to love a young woman totally in spite of himself, knowing she is far better than he is? The spark of life grows into the flame called passion and from that flame, in seeking to understand it; we receive our call to arms, our passion.

Can one live life without passion? Yes, but they truly cease to live when they lose sight of their passion and let the flame be destroyed. The greatest interpretation of passion can be found in the words of Joseph Whedon,” Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love… the clarity of hatred… and the ecstasy of grief. It hurts sometimes more than we can bear. If we could live without passion maybe we’d know some kind of peace… but we would be hollow… Empty rooms shuttered and dank. Without passion we’d be truly dead.” Hollow vessels, who never truly know life, but are only alive. Now after hearing the call and feeling the flame that burns brilliantly within, I can honestly say that I believe in living a passionate life.