Jacob - Lynchburg, Virginia
Themes: Christianity

Growing up in the home of a Baptist preacher has been interesting to say the least. All I have ever known is church; therefore, I have witnessed many of the good things and the many bad things that take place in a Christian churches, facilities, and homes. I am amazed by how many people call themselves Christians because they will manage to go to a Church when they get a chance, and then live like hell the rest of the week. Christianity is a wonderful thing and should not be taken for granted, but I believe that people have turned it into a thing of religion more than anything. Being a Christian literally means to be Christ like and I think people have taken their attention off of what that means and made it a thing of being a good moral person. Don’t get me wrong, being a moral person is great; everyone, especially Christians, should strive to be a good person and do good deeds, but Christianity goes much deeper than that alone.

I have my parents to thank for helping me realize that being a Christian is more than just trying to please people and doing good things. I see all that my father has had to put up with in the Church, from people getting in his face and making fools of themselves all the way to dealing with issues that people have placed on his shoulders. He has put everything into perspective and I now realize that he could have given up at any time and said I am tired of trying to make everyone happy, but instead, I have seen him do nothing else then love them and show them mercy and compassion. He is always there to help them with whatever they are going through, and if anyone does not agree with what he is doing, he just shows them love and cares for them anyway. This is indeed what a Christian should be because my dad showed the characteristics of Christ through himself and made it an issue of Christianity instead of a thing of religion.

I believe that the world would be a much better place if people who call themselves Christians would stop being selfish and do what they are called to do, and that is to reflect the Glory of God to the world and show the love that he has put into their hearts. People need to stop trying to outdo one another and stop comparing religions because in the end none of that will even matter. Everyone needs to start working together as a body of Christ and be “Christ like.” It is time people stop being foolish and selfish, and instead start loving people and doing what Christ would want us to do. It is sad that people would not want to be a Christian because of the things they see Christians doing so lets make people see the joy it really is to be Christian.