Paul - Loudon, Tennessee

Life Lesson’s from Mom and Dad

Growing up my family and I lived in the country. I had my older sister Haley and my younger brother Chance as playmates. We never had any neighbors just us and the animals we raised. My Dad had several jobs at the time and my Mom had one plus they kept care of us which was more than a full time job. I remember how great growing up was. As a child I was always outside no matter what hunting, fishing or just playing in the dirt. But just as kids do we would fight a lot, my mom and dad would both get on to us about it, telling us to stop fighting about the little things in life that life is to short. I remember them telling us this for the first time at the age of five. At the time I just figure it was a nicer way to say stop fighting, but what I did not know was that they were preparing us for the many struggles we would face in life. As I was growing up they kept that saying in my head all the time. When I got to the age of seventeen I finally understood the full meaning of the saying that my mom and dad instilled in my mind “let the little things in life go.” At that time I was dating who is now my fiancé I had never been in a serious relationship but at that time I found out it was. I had been mad at her for something she had done it was a little thing but at the time to me it was a big problem. At that point of the argument when it was getting pretty heated that saying came to me. I had pushed it away during the entire fight and it finally overwhelmed me. I just set backed and realized what we had been fighting about and how stupid I was being about it all. At that time I apologized and I just let that little thing that I saw to be a huge problem go. After that I became the mellow person I am today. I now let most things slide right off my back. I do not worry about the little things in life that get most people down I simply “let the little things in life go.” From bad drivers cutting me off to someone chewing me out because of something I have done. It is no longer a problem for me to not get upset or angry easily. So the lesson that me parents taught me when I was just a small child has stuck with me fifteen years later. It has made my life so much easier and a lot more stress free. I plan to teach my kids the same lessons that my mom and dad taught me.