Ashley - Friendsville, Tennessee

My Life As A Disney Movie

It’s sometimes very hard to keep working for the things you believe in because it seems so unobtainable at the time. Throughout my lifetime, my parents taught me morals, goals, and how to be a successful and better person as troubles come over me. Now at this point in my life, one of those things still stands out in my mind. I was always told to never give up on my dreams. In other words, live your life like a fairy tale.

Ever since I was little, I have been a true dreamer. The classic Disney movies all children grow up to know could entertain me for hours. All those movies had people in situations where they must strive for the impossible in order to get to their “happily ever after.” Now that I am older, I’ve realized that reality is much more complex the stories I grew up to know. Reaching your own goals is much more difficult than a princess attending a magical ball to get her prince.

At this point, I am in my first semester of college. I can honestly say I struggle everyday trying to get all I need done. I can only imagine how many others that there are in the same, and probably worse situations and battle the same problems I do now. When I sit and think about it, and consider giving up on school completely, I always end up asking myself if it would really be worth it to give up. Should I really give up just because I have to study and do my homework, or should I just be a server the rest of my life? I know for sure that is not what I want to become of my life. My dream and my goal to reach for my life is to be an elementary school music teacher. I’ve decided to do my best to make it there. Getting more money to live my life comfortably and to be able to do what I love is the only option. Unlike Cinderella, I can’t marry a handsome Prince Charming to take charge of my life, I have to make it myself.

My mom not only told me and encouraged me to go for my dreams, but I saw her do it as well. She has been my biggest influence as she struggled with her dreams when the hardest thing in both of our lives put new dreams in both of our minds. My parents divorced a couple of years ago after 21 years of marriage. She knew surviving would be hard on the small pay she received as a teaching assistant. At more than 40 years old, she went back to college. Years before, it was her dream to be a teacher, but she gave up on that because I was born. Now she could have that dream back. I watched her struggle endless hours over material she had never seen before with no direction of where to begin. Four years later, she graduated with a 4.0 GPA and she got a great teaching job close home where she teaches 5th grade. No fairy godmother helped her out, she just had the determination to get the work done.

Giving up cresses everyone’s mind at some point when a difficult situation arises. Keeping the dream alive and succeeding is even harder. Persevere and work hard towards the goals you have set. I have to remind myself of that every morning I have to wake up and roll out of bed for another agonizing day sitting in classes and listening to my teachers ramble on and on, no matter how tired I am from studying the night before. Eventually, it will be worth it and I will have my fairy tale “happily ever after.”