Brent - Napoleon, Ohio

Six and a half billion people with one common goal, and no one will travel the same path. Everyone plans to enjoy and excel in life. Everyone succeeds in some shape or form; they may not realize it, but look from all angles. One thing that separates everyone apart is his or her personality.

For the past year I have competed in an organization called DECA. DECA is an association of marketing students who compete in business related events. I have learned what a difference being yourself really has on others and how they perceive you. At each and every meeting little sets you apart from everyone else. Professional dress puts each and every competitor at an equal level. So what will the first place finisher do to earn their spot?

To excel in the business world today you must be a confident, and a classy individual. Large and small companies alike will select who gives their most important business proposals. What certain traits will they want their speakers or colleagues to have? Well, all companies are different! The only trait in which you can be sure to impress them with is your bold, true personality.

The truth is that no matter how hard you try, when you act yourself and let your personality shine, it shows. What I have learned with my experiences in DECA is how easy it is to grab and hold someone’s attention. As I approach my judges they see me gleaming with a smile and I grab their attention with my first few lines. Soon, they are hanging on to my every word and will remember me long after I’ve finished my presentation.

To be honest I don’t find myself to be severely unique or drastically impressive, but I do portray who I am well. When I enter my role-play to be judged, I do offer something that I believe others don’t. I understand that they will be seeing numerous other competitors and I must stand out. The best way, I believe, to stand out is let nerves go and to be comfortable and let my personality show. I become enthusiastic and enjoy what I am doing. My competitiveness directly relates to the real world and all the aspects that I will encounter later in life.

The world is full of unique people, people with different emotions, people of different ethnic backgrounds, and most of all, normal people. Everyone shares similarities, but no one can take away your unique personality. The most dull and boring person in the world can still be remembered and standout if they are confident with their own personality. Be who you are and love doing it!