Kyle - Napoleon, Ohio

Learn From Your Mistakes

Throughout my short and unfulfilled life there have been many times when I have screwed up royally. When you, for lack of a better word, screw up or make a mistake, you try and correct it. If the mistake is irreversible, than you learn from it and move on. Therefore this I believe I know I will make mistakes. I must accept it, learn, and move on! Use the past as a reference to help mold the future because you can’t relive the past.

Last spring, I started working at a shop where I swept floors, serviced trucks, and got parts for any piece of equipment that was in the shop at that time. I knew the reason I got the job was because my grandpa was a shop foreman. Well, it was the last day of school and I told my grandpa that I could come in early because I was getting out of school early. Well being the last day of school, and I didn’t feel like going to work so instead I thought my grandpa would understand if I just didn’t come in instead it sounded like a good idea to have some friends over. Well, I was wrong and my grandpa did mind. He called the house and was infuriated with me. He said that my “butt” better be at work by 7:00 a.m. or else. I have never heard my grandpa so mad in my life. It was the only thing I could think of all night and I could barely sleep. Not because he was so furious with me, but due to the fact that I had let my grandfather down. I showed up to work ten minutes early the next day expecting the worst, and all my grandpa said to me in a calm yet stern voice was that when you tell somebody you are going to do something they expect you to do. He said not to blow off plans because people are going to get tired of waiting around for you. That’s when I realized had I called him and asked for the day off, he probably would have given it to me and I wouldn’t have let him down.

From that day on, if I told somebody that I was going to something for them, I stuck to my word. If for some reason something came up that was of more importance than what my original plans were, then I would notify that person and explain my situation then they always seem to understand. That is an excellent example of a mistake that I have made and have learned from. I also learned that sometimes it is important to make mistakes because if you didn’t then you would not have a reference for the future.