Hiren - State College, Pennsylvania

I have been a Boy Scout for as long as I can remember, and the highest rank a Boy Scout can achieve is Eagle Scout. This has to be completed before the age of eighteen, and I was one rank away from Eagle Scout since I was sixteen. However, I procrastinated until I was four months away from my eighteenth birthday with only a thought as to what I wanted to do for my main leadership project, which usually takes a year to complete. I almost abandoned the idea of trying to achieve my Eagle Scout Rank until I realized that I would be throwing away eight years of hard-work and dedication.

I believe in perseverance. After I realized that I only had four months to complete a massive amount of work, I made a decision. I decided I was going to complete what I had started; not only for me, but also for my parents who had invested countless amounts of time and money over the years. My mother wanted me to attain my Eagle Scout rank more than anything, and I could not let her down. I convinced myself that I will never know if I could succeed if I did not try.

So I spent all my free time working on my Eagle Project, making phone calls, obtaining supplies, finding volunteers, and assembling a report to present to a council for approval of the project. Finally, I was ready to begin restoring a historical cemetery in my home town that had been neglected for over ten years. There were times that I thought it was futile to try to accomplish such an intensive project in a fraction of the time required. However, I knew that if I just kept persevering, I had a good chance of completing the task I embarked upon. I started restoring the cemetery with the aid of twenty other Boy Scouts. Altogether we put in over four-hundred man-hours during the course of three weeks and finished ahead of schedule. I knew that the harder I worked, the closer I came to my goal. After the brush was cleared and a new fence and sign were put up, I knew I was in the home stretch. The last thing left for me to do was submit a thirty page report on my project.

In conclusion, I almost gave up on accomplishing one of my childhood dreams because I was afraid to fail. However, something inside of me said that trying and failing is much better than just quitting outright. So I persevered with a limited amount of time, and in the end it was worth the trouble to see the look on my mother’s face during my award ceremony. To this day, I think of the work ethic I kept during the course of the project, and it allows me to think that with perseverance I can accomplish almost anything thrown my way.