Kevin - State College, Pennsylvania

Tests, interviews, homework, group projects, and work: the essentials of life for a college senior. Stress seems to be a feeling as common around here as our Penn State blue and white. Some people I know are controlled by this feeling and transformed into something they are not, something I do not want to be. I believe that life is more than a list of accomplishments; it needs to be fun.

It is difficult to step back and assess one’s life and it is even more difficult to change it. Most of us, however, have some help along the way. A cold, icy day in February of my senior year in high school changed my outlook on life. One of my good friends was killed as his car slid on the ice into an on-coming SUV that afternoon. From this devastating event, however, sprang the help that I needed. Being from an upper middle class family, I have had the privilege of almost limitless opportunities and until that day, I do not think I realized it. Because of Matt, I no longer take anything for granted.

There is something good about every aspect of my life. Giving presentations and completing schoolwork is stressful, but the satisfaction of accomplishment makes it worth it. Staying up long hours with my friends may be tiring, but the camaraderie and good times are unmatched. To enjoy life, one must find the good. I am a true believer that humor and fun can be found in anything, you just need to surround yourself with the right people.

I would challenge everyone to assess their outlook and even their mood. Nothing in my life as a graduating senior is as bad as it seems, and nothing ever will be. Although I found my outlook in tragedy, I will keep good spirits everyday, not just for Matt, but for myself as well.