Carolyn - Brandywine, Maryland
Themes: children

I Believe That Children Today Have Too Much Time on Their Hands

In the past children had to work in fields and help their parents out with daily chores. They worked all day long and had very little time to do other activities. Today children do not have to work for anything. Life is maid easy for them, they have plenty of free time, and if they want something they do not have to work for it. In the past, children had little time to get into trouble, because they were so busy. Today teen crime rates and teen violence have increased dramatically. In the District of Columbia many teenagers are engaging in criminal behaviors such as gang violence, robbery, car theft, and assault. If they had more work to do or more activities to engage in that would keep them occupied, they would have less time to be engaging in criminal activities. Their should be more recreational centers, parks, and places where these children can spend time. Instead of having no place to go, and nothing to do but stay out on the street and get caught doing something that is illegal. Most of the children that are caught committing these crimes are between the ages of 11 and 18. A question that I have is where are their parents at? I do not see how a parent would not have at least some kind of idea about where their child is and what he or she is doing. They are the ones that are going to be blamed when the child is caught doing wrong. Also the amount of television they watched should be decreased, or supervised. Today most of the ideas children get come from television or video games. Today’s television shows contain a lot of violence