Jonathan - Lynchburg, Virginia

I believe in miracles, the kind that occurs at the hand of God as well as at the hands of doctors. Miracles happen all the time, all over the world. Whether we decide to pay attention to them or not is completely up to us. We need to start paying attention to things that happen around us in our everyday lives, because one of those things: one of those miracles, may ultimately change our lives forever.

This happened to me about five years ago, while I was still in middle school. My dad went into the hospital with congestive heart failure on December 3, 2001 and went through a quadruple bypass surgery. When he first went in, he wasn’t doing too well and the doctors said it was going to be a “long road” for him. The said he had a fifty-fifty chance coming out of the surgery, but we knew that from the beginning. What I didn’t know was that it was going to be a long road for me and my family. Well my dad came out of surgery just fine and began, what was to be a very long road to recovery. After a few days in the intensive care unit (I.C.U.) we thought he was doing pretty good and was going to be fine, but then something unexpected happened that none of us wanted to happen; one of my dad’s lungs collapsed. The doctors said that it would be a miracle if he pulled through and made a full recovery. By this time I’m scared to death because my dad, my hero, was at the verge of death and may not pull through. At that time I began to do something I never did before, I began to pray. I began to pray that my dad would make a full recovery and would be able to come home for Christmas. I also prayed for myself and the rest of my family that we would be able to be strong and stand by his side throughout the recovery process.

Being in middle school and 14 years old praying and seeing my dad in the hospital wasn’t something I really wanted to happen. I really wanted to do something to help my dad, but the only thing I could do, and what the doctors said I should do, was to keep praying. After a few days of intense testing to see what happed with my dad’s lung started to gain strength and become active on its own. This was the first miracle I witnessed and I couldn’t believe it was happening after all the things we went through and what the doctors had said. Right then I began to realize that the miracle wasn’t only from what the doctors had done, but it also from the hands of God in answer to my prayers. It’s amazing what God can do for you if you just give him a chance. When my dad finally woke up he didn’t know what had happened so we had to tell him everything that had happened. After a few weeks my dad began to regain strength in his heart and his lung, and before long he was sitting at home, which by the way was four days before Christmas. This is why I believe in miracles, because miracles have changed my life forever.