Joshua - Mississippi
Themes: morality

Many people have heard the word honesty, but many still do not know really what it means. I have learned want the word honesty means by my aunt. My aunt has always been the one to lie. If there was any situation to get out of, my aunt could always think of an excuse. She never went to birthday parties, family dinners, or even participated in Christmas. My aunt could always make anyone believe her, but finally I understood what she was doing was lying.

Many times my aunt would call my grandma and tell her she could not come over because she was running a fever and could not get out of bed, or even maybe she was contagious. My grandma would always feel so bad for her, and grandma would fix her a plate of food and bring it to her. My aunt would not even have to leave her house and she would get food brought to her. My grandma would never catch on to her lying, because that was her daughter. Grandma automatically figured her daughter would never lie to her.

When my aunt would get pulled over by a police officer, she would always come up with and excuse getting her out of the ticket. My aunt would say, “Officer, my child is at my mom’s house and just fell and busted his head open. I need to get there so I can bring him to the hospital.” The police officer will normally let her go with out a ticket. If this was a real emergency for someone else, the police might not let them go with out a ticket, because they hear the story all the time.

If everyone was to lie like my aunt, the world would be in total chaos. If everyone was to lie no one could trust anyone. If someone wanted something done, they would have to do it themselves. The stores would lose money because they could not trust the cashiers, or the stores merchandise would get stolen.

My aunt is the one who has taught me how to be dishonest. But seeing how she treats everyone around her has taught me how to be honest. Her lies would sometimes hurt my families’ feelings. From these experiences I have also learned how not to lie and how much trouble it can get me in if I do. Honesty is a key quality that people must possess for this world to revolve like it does.