Brittany - Louisville,, Kentucky

Everyone believes that diamonds are a girl’s best friend. They make us girls happy. In fact diamonds do make us happy, but they can’t wake up at five in the morning to make sure we get off to school safely; our mothers do. Diamonds don’t speak up in times of distress and let us know that everything will be okay; our mothers do. Our mothers work and spend every hard earned cent on us, making sure that we are provided for in every need and want we have. Diamonds just sit there and look pretty. Although diamonds make a girl happy, excited and want to jump for joy, they do nothing more than that. Mothers, on the other hand, do the same things diamonds do- plus more. So instead of the belief in diamond being a girl’s best friend, I believe that mother’s are a girl’s best friend.

She’s been with me since the moment of my existence on this earth; waiting in labor, enduring the excruciating pain of child birth for five dreadful hours. While growing up she has been there to catch every fallen tear drop, to heal every scrape and bruise; sitting up for hours on end, watching over me every time I was laying in my hospital bed. She’s supported me in cheerleading, making sure that I made it on time to every game, and even sitting in the bleachers in rain or sunshine cheering me on. She’s seen me off to prom and although not approving of my prom date she allowed me to go anyways. My mom has been there for me through thick and thin, rain and sunshine, and even the good times and the bad times.

When the entire world has turned gray, and turned away from me, my mother’s face is the one that is left always shining bright and facing my troubles with me. Recently during the breakup between me and my boyfriend, every friend I ran to turned their backs on me. My mom was the only one there that I could confide in. I cried and sobbed to her expressing all the things that he had done to me. She took note on every minor detail that I explained he had done to me, from always lying to me-to cheating on me several times. In this time of distress it was hard to cheer me up, but she somehow found a way to do it. She consoled me and told me that everything would be okay, and to cheer me up even more she went out and bought me a pint of Cookies and Cream ice-cream and rented “Two Can Play That Game”, my favorite movie; and sat up with me ‘til three the next morning. Only a mother can cheer a girl up at this time of need. Even when my mother had plans, she would sit them aside to come and care for me.

My mom has been there for me through everything. She has filled in the role of my friends when they weren’t there. I tell my mom everything, and she feels that she can do the same with me. You may think that it’s crazy, but she’s my best friend.

“A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts. “ ~Washington Irvin